Open Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm

Our team remains available and ready to assist in any family law matter during this time. We are always available via phone and/or video chat for consultations. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions and click here for more information.

Can I Modify My Child Custody Order?

It would be unrealistic to assume that life will remain the same years after a child custody order was issued. Your living situation may change, your children may develop different needs, or your schedules may no longer support the order you currently have. If you and your former spouse can discuss the matter and reach an agreement without going to court, this will save you a considerable amount of time, but you must still receive the approval of a judge to ensure any changes made to your child custody order continue to serve the best interests of your children and are enforceable.

Of course, not everyone is on amicable enough terms to hash out an agreement to modify their custody order on their own. If that is the case for you, you can petition the court for modifications. Depending on the form of the prior order, if the situation changed significantly and/or you can prove the modifications you are requesting are in the best interests of your children, a judge may grant your request.

What is a Significant Change in Circumstances?

There are several circumstances in which a judge may grant a modification of your child custody order.

Here is a list of some examples:

  • You believe your children are no longer safe in your ex’s home and that they are in immediate danger.
  • One parent is relocating, rendering the current visitation schedule impossible to enforce.
  • Your former spouse refuses to cooperate or comply with the child custody order.
  • One or both parents’ schedules changed, making it difficult to follow through with the current visitation schedule.
  • Your children’s needs changed and cannot be accommodated by the current custody order.

Even if you do not see your specific situation listed above, it does not necessarily mean your request for a modification of your child custody order will be denied.

Reach Out to Our Compassionate Family Law Team to Discuss the Details of Your Case!

If you need to modify your current child custody order, the skilled legal team at Bremer Whyte Brown & O'Meara can provide the knowledgeable representation you need to overcome any difficulties you may encounter. Our experienced family law attorneys are committed to providing personalized attention to ensure you secure the best possible results for your case.

Contact our law office today at (949) 229-8546 to set up an initial consultation to discuss the details of your post-divorce modification case with a compassionate member of our family law team.